generated by sloganizer.net

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

as of late, my life has been inundated with religion.



chockfull.


for starters, once a week i have a dialogue course on religious diversity. as i am attending a large, public university in central illinois, it goes without saying that the religious diversity ain't so diverse. nearly everyone in the class hails from some form of protestant christianity. in addition, we have 1 catholic (me, if i really count), 1 athiest, 1 wiccan, 1 muslim, 1 hindu, and 2 jews. there are only 18 people in the class. over half the class shares a perspective. believe me, it's fun.

actually, it really is. mostly because i love to push their buttons. on monday, we had our session on "hot topics". mind you, they weren't that hot, but regardless, they got us talking. we started with the presence of the 10 commandments in courthouses and schools. the christians huddled for an our father and broke out with how our nation's laws were founded on the moral laws of christianity. thus, they argued, the 10 commandments have loads of business in the courts.

i tore into them with legal prowess and rhetorical expertise on the separation of church and state. though it was a dialogue and not a debate, i won.


last week, as briefly mentioned in an earlier post, i was cornered by 3 christians on the quad. they had me sit with them, as they asked me questions about my faith. i instantly referenced my catholic upbringing for inspired and appropriate answers. basically, i lied to them. while normally, i'd be all about standing my ground, i was just too lazy that day. it was beautiful, and all i wanted was to get ice cream and sit on the grass. lying was the quickest means to my desired end. after giving an oratory on my religious beliefs and answering the question "if you died right now, how would you convince god to let you into heaven?", i was free... well, almost free. first, they had to pray for me. for almost 5 minutes, i sat while they bowed their heads and prayed for my ever-lovin', happy little soul. before they left me in a state of religious shock, one gave me his email address to get together for coffee. the whole exchange was incredibly strange.

regardless, i won't be emailing him.






molly's p.s. - my parents were here for much of the weekend. this mostly meant decent food and a bit of shopping. they came to attend several banquets, so i'm incredibly burnt out on the union's catering. the last one, the banquet on sunday, was excrutiatingly horrible. however, i did get a good laugh out of some of the speakers. frank was here this weekend as well. i know, it's just like frank to come on mom's weekend. needless to say, however, i was pretty intoxicated most of the weekend. you'd have been proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs » Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here