generated by sloganizer.net

Monday, June 06, 2005

do you like me? do you really like me?



i'm not sure what to call you. i'll say "oh, i have this friend..." or "i know this guy who...", but somehow neither seems right. you're not an acquaintance, as we've never really met... and in those odd instances where we have, the meetings were of little to no substance. however, you're not a stranger either. i know more about you, or at least feel like i know more about you, than i do many people i see and interact with on a daily basis. you are different. special. you are someone whose blog i read.


there are several of you. some of you i have met in person, though most of you are but electronic typeface on a glowing monitor. those i have met, i've met but once. in passing or by accident, either way, the meetings are brief, inconsequential, lacking the richness and camaraderie of our repartee via the sundry of comments and private emails. with some of you, i am friendsters, mutually expanding our networks and increasing our cool factor with the addition of one more... friend. some of you i read desperately, floundering like a fish out of water, frantically gasping for something to run over my gills, unable to click the refresh button quickly enough. others i check in on when the mood strikes me, devouring every post since the last time i was in your mood. all of you i feel i know in some respect. there's a tie... something that stretches from your words to my brain or my heart or my... something. something in me. some part of me holds onto you guys.

i talk about you. you come up in conversation. parts of your lives intersect with mine so flawlessly... it's hardly coincidental. you're relevant. my anecdotes and chit-chat are sprinkled with bits of you... how you love this tv show, how you just went on a first date, how you are always seeing and hearing these crazy things, how you loathe your parents, how you lie about your age, how you just got a new job, how you make me laugh, how you make me hurt, how you make me feel... i talk about you... like we were friends.

but are we? would i like you if we spent time together that wasn't solitary? would you like me before i'm edited, thought out, reworked, reworded? is our friendship predicated on our fractured self-representations? do i like you or do i like the you you're willing to let me read about?

are we friends? do i need to feel stupid when i say "oh, i have this friend..." or "i know this guy who..." or do i really have this friend or know this guy?









let's be friends... i hope.

5 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, June 07, 2005, Blogger MatthewD said...

that made me smile. i'd be proud for you to count me amongst your friends....

 
At 1:50 PM, June 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely said, Brett. Always a pleasure to read your stuff, thanks for sharing....

CF

 
At 3:03 PM, June 08, 2005, Blogger brett said...

i already have your first christmas gift picked out... and it has nothing to do with protecting your bare thighs while making chicken.

 
At 3:05 PM, June 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad to say that you're my real, live friend. a friend that, on occasion, has been known to dress as a pirate and drink rum out of very small bottles. i also know not what to call my blog-stalkees. i feel as though if we all met in person it would be a disaster. call me sometime. when i'm not naked.

 
At 11:50 AM, June 09, 2005, Blogger brett said...

i like frioggers...


it sounds a little bit dirrty and a little bit fraggle rock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs » Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here