generated by sloganizer.net

Monday, April 25, 2005

i've always been a charlotte york, but i've never read "the rules".


due to some unforeseen complications involving my cell phone, i missed "take me out" on sunday. the unforeseen complications being my drunk ass leaving my phone in the backseat of one of chicago's many taxicabs. luckily, a very nice driver by the name of parvesh found the phone and returned it to his managing office. i was lucky enough to locate it, and some other cabbie drove it over to my apartment. i am still shocked that they didn't charge me for the cab ride my phone took. however, this whole situation took until almost 4 o'clock in the afternoon, causing me to miss my 3 pm curtain call. i'm hoping some nice person at steppenwolf will understand and help me reschedule. i'm seriously doubting this, however.

with all the freetime i, thusly, acquired, i had a few hours to mentally and physically prepare myself for the dinner date i had yesterday evening. at 7:30, we met at a nice, latin establishment (latin being the culture of central america and the caribbean, not the dead language of yore). the conversation wasn't as easy as with my last date, nor was the instant comfort there, but it was good. it was nice to have to work at it. it was nice that we both were working at it. the two hours we spent there passed quickly... too quickly, and suddenly, i found myself standing on the street corner, hailing a cab and very protectively moving my cell to my inside coat pocket.

i went home and gushed to my roommate about how great it all was. how he looked just as i imagined, how the initial uneasiness was very nice in the end. she and i both noticed i had a problem with saying his name over and over again.

"when charlotte really liked a guy, she said his whole name -- it helped her to imagine their future monogrammed towels."

finally, someone i not only liked but was pretty sure liked me as well. as is my typical practice, i waited 2 or 3 hours, then sent the "thank you, i had a great time" email. i was pleased that i meant the words... i really was thanking him and really did have a great time. i spent the rest of the night thinking about him, which in my opinion, is always a good sign.

today, as any gentleman would, he replied saying that he also had a good time. now, i found myself in a tricky situation. how long do i wait to ask him out again, afterall it's my turn? do i ask him to do dinner again, or do i try to be different and inventive, attempting to make a date of some other activity? when it comes to dating, and even moreso, when it comes to being the dominant partner in dating, i'm lost. i don't know any of the social norms or customary progressions. several of my past fears are surfacing as realities -- i really didn't date enough in college, i really don't know what i'm doing when it comes to relationships, i'm romantically retarded and sexually absent. when it comes to dating, i don't know any of the rules, or for that matter, if there even are any rules. is honesty really the best policy? is being candid about feelings and overall impressions truly wise?
i guess we'll find out soon enough. i sacked up and asked him out later this week.

"the reality was, the only thing that went down with any regularity on charlotte's dates was a gold american express card."

guilty as charged...

and i will accept compliments on the pun.







i.f.o.t.d. - see below

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs » Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here