generated by sloganizer.net

Thursday, December 01, 2005

as promised, a holiday summation:


-the sunday before thanksgiving, my mother came to chicago for a conference. sunday afternoon, i went to meet her and the women she works with for lunch. it was a liquid lunch. 6 women from central illinois, one thin boy, and a haitian cabby named patrick shared a taxi from kitty o'shea's to my mother's hotel on michigan. i then headed over to see the joseph before he went to nashville for business. he'd be returning once i had already left for home.

-monday, molly and i had a psychic meeting of the minds during my morning walk home from joe's, and both took unannounced sick days. once molly's headache had subsided, and i... nevermind. anyhow, after we "felt" "better", we headed down to broadway in b-town and did a little early x-mas shopping. molly was shocked at the cruise-iness that is caribou coffee... correction: cruise-a-boy coffee.

-tuesday, i took sick day numero dos. i had packing to do. that evening, i went to a banquet with the madre.

-wednesday, madre, her coworkers, and i departed chicago via rail. i slept the entire way to springfield. when we arrived at the springfield station, mother dearest pulled my bag down from the overhead rack, i awoke, and the conductor stole my bag. my mother said, "brett, you better go after him, i don't know where he's taking your bag." i bolted after him, still half-asleep, and watched in horror as the fucker pitched my luggage from the train door to the platform. i mean, he literally threw it off the train. i ran after my luggage... with mother and coworkers in tow... leaving my messenger bag with my laptop, i-pod, cds, law school apps, lsat prep book, and make-up work from my sick days on the train.

-still wednesday, i frantically work with amtrak to locate my bag o' my life. i told them exactly what it looked like, exactly what could be found inside, exactly which seat it was under on exactly which car of the train... but apparently, and be warned fair reader, there is no way in this modern age of wireless internet access and recklessly proliferated cell phones for a conductor on an amtrak train to be contacted enroute. so rather than my bag being found and handed to a station attendant in carlinville (a mere 40 minutes or so from home), my bag journeyed all the way to kansas city, missouri, where it then turned around and came back to st. louis (about 1.5 hours from home). fist of rage, amtrak! fist. of. rage.

-thursday, we ate. then popsicle and i drove to st. louis to fetch my bag. mother and i saw mr. potter at the local theater that evening.

-friday, went off with little fanfare.

-saturday, after my mom thought a good send-off would be to visit my dying uncle, i drove back to chicago. that night i went out like a rockstar and was nearly forcibly removed from charlie's... yet again.

-sunday, i finally saw the boy again. we went to lunch and then spent the rest of the day being very domestic. that afternoon, he keyed me. yep, keyed.



that pretty much brings us up to speed. but keys! fucking keys! mailbox key and everything. they jingle-jangle in my pocket, as a constant reminder that this boy likes me... really likes me.

...and though according to the molly, "you don't give yourself enough credit", i don't understand it. i don't get what he sees in me, and i don't mean that in a self-pity sort of way, just in a i'm-wholly-confuddled-by-this-whole-thing sort of way. he's so much more than what i thought i could get, and that makes me happy... but it's scary getting what you want.

i spent so long needing, really needing, something in that part of my life. i was terminally single, and now, out of nowhere, there's joe... and i'm crazy about him. truly, 100%, batshit crazy about him... but that part of me that was single for so long doesn't know how to function anymore.

being alone was what came naturally to me, and now, i find myself learning how to walk all over again. everything is new. everything is amazing and fascinating and scary and wonderful.

...and i guess the key is to be willing to learn. to be willing to take those steps with him. to be willing to fall in stride with the jingle-jangle of him in my pocket. in my life.

2 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger MatthewD said...

that's great!

congratulations!

 
At 2:31 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Matt S. said...

I curse thee Amtrack...I curse thee!

Congrat on getting keyed, that is so exciting that you are in a big boy relationship! How does it feel? No seriously...how does it feel I have never gotten that serious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs » Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here